Saturday, July 8, 2017

Geoff & Maria Muldaur - "Pottery Pie" (1968)



Fresh beginnings are healthy and I've always been partial to firsts. I was born on the first day of July. I've never been on an airplane, though I would definitely prefer to fly first class for the simple fact that I don't like to be smushed together with total strangers. The poet, Allen Ginsberg, was famous for saying, "First thought, best thought," and he was right... and my first thought is that I would love to fly first class on my birthday.

However, my birthday was a week ago, so fuck my life.

Geoff & Maria Muldaur's first album is a hoot. They were previously part of Jim Kweskin's Jug Band (pictured below). Being half a Jew, I can get away with saying that this is good old-fashioned yankee Jew hippy folky blues, wandering aimlessly in a thick cloud of weed smoke, barefooted on creaky, wooden slat floors, and bumping butts to old Sippie Wallace 78s like R. Crumb illustrated (also see below).









No comments:

Post a Comment